Since making my cotton nightdress on my new sewing machine, I have been intending to make something else similar so that I can consolidate what I learned about my machine and start to sew a bit faster. Luckily this fits with another aim I have which is to fill my wardrobe with pretty and practical shifts and tops to wear underneath some of my more revealing or see through summer dresses.
Last summer I made a shift using this free pattern. In some ways the pattern was a success and I certainly appreciate it being offered gratis, but I've never been entirely happy with the garment which resulted. It would be very pretty on my 'tween daughter or teenage goddaughter but, on me, it highlights bits which are better de-emphasised or even covered! Today I tweaked the pattern, widening the neckline to shift the straps outwards and adjusting the bust darts to suit my body better. Once that was done, the sewing up went smoothly and quickly and I am more appreciative of my machine's merits.
I used some shot cotton from Kaffe Fasset's range (colour: viridian) and it was beautiful to handle. I still have a metre each of a couple of other colour ways and I am wondering what I might make.
I am also wondering if I should avoid use my manequin for fitting as the shift which fits my body so well is completely wrong for the manequin's shape judging by the bust darts.